Safe handling of dry ice

When handled properly, dry ice is safe and easy to use. Please follow these guidelines for the safe handling and disposal of dry ice.

Sidewinder - Icepack
Avoid contact with skin and eyes.

Dry ice is extremely cold, -78°C and can cause severe frostbite within seconds of direct contact. (Frostbite is a freezing injury resembling a burn).

Never handle dry ice with your bare hands.

Always wear insulated gloves. Safety glasses, long-sleeved shirt, long pants and shoes are also recommended. Use a plastic scoop to handle dry ice pellets.

Do not put dry ice in your mouth or otherwise ingest it.

If dry ice is accidentally ingested, it can cause severe internal injury. Never put dry ice in beverages to cool them.

Keep out of reach of children.

Only adults should handle dry ice.

Do not use dry ice in confined areas.

Dry ice releases dense carbon dioxide vapour that can cause rapid suffocation.

Transport dry ice outside your vehicles cockpit.

If forced to transport inside a vehicle then always leave windows open to allow for fresh air circulation. Never leave dry ice in a parked vehicle. Sublimation of dry ice in a closed vehicle can result in the accumulation of dangerous concentrations of asphyxiating carbon dioxide vapour.

Dry ice can be safely transported without special ventilation in the closed cargo area of a truck if all occupants are restricted to the cab. When opening a closed cargo area containing dry ice, allow the closed space to ventilate for 5 minutes before entering.

Never store dry ice in glass or other sealed (airtight) containers or coolers.

Storage in a sealed container can result in a rupture or explosion of the container from over-pressurization.

Do not place dry ice in direct contact with perishable foods or bottled/canned beverages.

Produce may sustain severe freezer burns and bottle/canned beverages can split or explode.

View Map